Mini Royal Fruit Cakes
- 1 cup currants
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 4 containers Betty Crocker™ Rich & Creamy creamy white or vanilla frosting
- 1 In large bowl place currants, golden raisins and dried cranberrries. Zest and juice orange; add to bowl. Zest and juice lemon zest; add to bowl. Pour in 1/2 cup brandy, mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand overnight. Drain extra liquid off soaked fruit, if needed.
- 2 Heat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour a 13 x 9-inch cake pan. To make cake, beat butter, molasses and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, scraping bowl occassionally until blended. Gradually add the eggs and flour, alternating until both are incorporated. Stir in soaked fruit. Spread into pan.
- 3 Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and surface is deep golden brown. Let cool in pan, about 2 hours. Brush with remaining 3 tablespoons brandy. Remove from pan.
- 4 To decorate, cut cake into 12 rows by 8 rows. Place 24 squares, leaving space between each, on wire rack.
- 5 In medium microwave-safe bowl, place frosting from one container. Microwave on High in 30 second intervals, stirring until smooth and pourable. Quickly spoon about 1 tablespoon spoon frosting over each of 24 mini cakes, covering tops and letting frosting drip over sides. Reheat frosting as needed, if necessary. Repeat with remaining frosting and mini cakes. Let stand about 30 minutes or until frosting is set. Decorate with edible fresh flowers and mint, if desired. Store loosely covered.
Upside-Down Apple Cake
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 3 tablespoons whiskey or bourbon
- 3 red apples, unpeeled, quartered, cored, very thinly (1/4 inch) sliced
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ yellow cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds, finely ground
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/4cup apple jelly
- 2 oz (from 8-oz container) mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 In medium bowl, mix dried cranberries, apricots, orange peel and bourbon. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour or overnight.
- 2 Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Generously grease bottom and sides of two 8-inch round cake pans with shortening. Line bottom of each pan with cooking parchment paper. Grease parchment paper with shortening.
- 3 Line bottom and side of each pan with overlapping apple slices, cutting slices as necessary to line side of each pan.
- 4 In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, ground almonds, oil and eggs with electric mixer on low speed until moistened, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in soaked dried fruit and ginger. Gently pour into pans over apple slices.
- 5 Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately turn pans upside down to release cakes onto cooling racks.
- 6 In small microwavable bowl, microwave apple jelly uncovered on High 15 to 30 seconds, stirring every 15 seconds, until hot. Brush over apples on top and side of each cake to make shiny. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 7 Meanwhile, in medium bowl, beat mascarpone cheese, whipping cream and sugar with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. On serving plate, place one cake, apple side up. Top with whipped cream mixture. Gently place remaining cake layer on top of cream, apple side up. Garnish with fresh cranberries and orange slices. Cut into slices with serrated knife. Cover and refrigerate any remaining cake.